Pursuing damages following an auto accident can be a complicated and stressful process. While hiring a qualified personal injury attorney should be your first step, there are some other things you can do to help potentially maximize the compensation you could receive from a personal injury lawsuit.
While following the below tips doesn’t guarantee anything, each step could increase your chances, and at the very least, bolster your case with a stronger foundation.
- Get medical treatment: It goes without saying that if you’ve suffered significant injuries, treating those should be your first priority. If you’re able to, getting detailed documentation of all those injuries is vital to establishing a case for your pain and suffering later on.
- Document, document, document: Juries will look at the entire body of evidence in your case and that means having as much documentation as possible. Take plenty of photos and videos at the scene and even follow up with a written log while the images and events of the incident are fresh.
- Stay off social media: It’s so easy to post messages or photos in the aftermath of an auto accident, but that same information could be used against you in court later on. If you’re considering legal action, it’s best to stay off social. Period.
- Reject any initial settlement: The insurance company will offer you a seemingly reasonable amount of money, but you can work with your attorney to write a letter explaining why that amount is not enough. Simply put, don’t take the first offer.
- Think about future damages: It’s easy to think about what you need now, but how will your pain and suffering affect you 1, 2, 5 years down the road? Using that frame of mind could help encapsulate what you might ask for in terms of compensation.
- Don’t wait to file: You have time limits to file your case. In Arizona, the statute of limitations is two years. Filing in an appropriate amount of time can also highlight the most current situation with any injuries or pain and suffering.
If you’ve been involved in an auto accident and believe you’re entitled to damages, it’s time to contact a professional and trusted personal injury attorney. Rabb and Rabb, PLLC is dedicated to protecting the rights of those hurt in Arizona auto accidents. Call 520-888-6740 to learn more and schedule a free consultation.